Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Update from New York - settled in

So, I'm settled in. I'm also at the start of my third week of classes here in New York. I can't believe how quickly it's all passing by. I'm already painfully aware that I won't have time to do all I want to do and see all I want to see. I'm going to try my very best though! Little sleep for me.

The latest news is that I'm now closer to Manhattan. My lovely family in "outer" New Jersey (KT, MG & Willy) hosted me for the first couple of weeks but the big two-hour door-to-door commute each way began to be a bit boring so I decided to move in closer. I looked at a few places in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Hoboken and Jersey City (the later two are in New Jersey just across the Hudson River from the City). The Manhattan ones were very expensive (over $US1000 per month) and not quite as big/homey as the ones I saw in Jersey. I did inspect a room in a plush apartment on the Upper East Side that is owned and inhabited by the former US manager of The Beatles. He was a lovely guy and showed me his wall of platinum records, awards, photos and memorabilia from the golden days. Apparently John and Paul (yes, them) stayed there once and the body corporate complained that two illegal lodgers were staying in his apartment; ha! The apartment was like a rock museum with amazing views across the East River. It also contained a couple of cats. Thus, not really inhabitable for the likes of me and my very feline allergy disposition. They were cute cats but I would have been sneezing and red-faced for my whole time in New York (that, and the place smelt like Whiskers cat food, piss and litter trays). A few people have berated me for not taking a room in such a landmark, rock-god penthouse apartment, saying that the allergic reactions would have been a small price to pay to live in such a historical and auspicious place. I don't care. I found a better place.

Luckily, I happened on a perfect house on 7th Avenue in Jersey City. It's only a few minutes walk to the subway and I'm at school in under half an hour - that's just as good if not better than if I were in Brooklyn or Queens. I'm looking after a guys room while he spends his summer travelling around Italy (he works in TV in the City and used to work on Sesame Street). I'm living with two lovely girls who are both in the arts and it's all pretty sweet. The neighbourhood is decidedly quieter than the City but is still so close. It's a real up and coming neighbourhood and will be real estate gold in no time as the snotty New Yorkers get over the fact that it's in New Jersey. For some reason, the fact that it's a whole other state is a reason to berate all things NJ - "tunnel and bridge folk" they call us. The photo to the right is my street which is shady and full of beautiful railroaded brown stone homes - it even feels a bit like Sesame Street.

Our house (see left) is not quite a brown stone, but it's a quaint 60s/70s 'franco cotzo' style joint with lots of living space. There's a general/liquor store on the closest corner, the police station is three doors down (so it should be pretty safe), there's a nice cafe run by a robust Cuban woman on the other corner, and we have a big garish mall and the subway just five minutes walk from here. All in all it's excellent. I feel very much at home here.

School is also progressing like wild fire. I've already rehearsed and performed a scene with my delightful Canadian mate Briana. We were stretched, worked, questioned and challenged in the process. Luckily it's a very supportive place and none of my teachers are petty or mean or into elaborate mind games where they are trying to 'break you down' and 'mould' you into their version of a marvelous actor. Each of my classes is stimulating and I'm learning lots while also consolidating skills. My teachers are all such hilarious and inspiring individuals with each of their own quirks and New York-isms. My acting technique teachers are both in their very senior years and performed with some of the greats at the Actor's Studio back in the day (and are still members). The jazz ballet classes have been particularly challenging during the recent New York heat wave (well, that's my excuse). Today's class was very very sweaty in the oppressive 90+ degree heat and high >80% humidity. All in all, school is fantastic and just what the acting doctor ordered. I will write more about the specific wonders of each of my classes in the coming weeks - I'm still getting my own head around them. It's all a "journey towards you" or so we've been told... I still have to pinch myself each morning as I walk up Broadway on my way to school. I can't believe I'm here. So so cool.

In other exciting news, I spent my first full blown weekend in the City strolling around the East Village, shopping and geeking out in the massive Apple store in SoHo, watching a musical/dance show in Central Park (Rufus Wainwright wrote the music which was sublime), going to the 'Sirens' Music Festival (a huge line up of up and coming indie bands) at the sideshow bizarre and eerie Coney Island, hanging out with my new buddies across the City, catching up with Aussies in the balmy night times (my friend Sophie and later my mate Frog and the troupe from chunky Move) , and generally exploring my new surrounds in Jersey. I'm just so pumped to be here.

The 'Wonder Wheel' at Coney Island, est. 1920
(the cars/cages on the inside ring move around on a track - ingenious)


The chemist just down the road from my house - I love signs

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, stitzy yay! make sure you eat enough la.

7:15 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Sounds good Mr Tim, I love the picture of Coney Island - do you recognise: "Warriors, come out to play-ay"? Don't worry if you don't. Enjoy yourself because it sounds like the trip of a lifetime. Don't worry, the home fires are still burning, and literally so now that we have a fireguard. Much love from Peter

8:21 PM  
Blogger Jellyfish said...

I HATE YOU BECAUSE I AM JEALOUS.


*cries*

Have THE BEST time, Tim. Thinking of you heaps. And go to lots of musicals, m'kay?

10:28 PM  
Blogger Stitzy said...

Will do AG. There's too many to see! Don't worry, I'll see Avenue Q and the Sweeney Todd revival.

Thanks Tam.

Cheers Peter. I hear the fire is burning hot in the 'Dell.

Ta Sophie. Love your Flickr pics.

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home