Tuesday, August 01, 2006

I am a sweaty American

I used to think that I didn't perspire that much. But since arriving in New York, I have been sweating more than ever. Just strolling to the subway (or waiting for the train) raises beads of salt water across my brow. In jazz dance and physical acting classes my classmates poke fun at the cascade of water that leaks from my body as I stretch, bend, posse, jazz run, grapevine and move my way through classes.

The result is a series of consistently perfect 'American movie' sweat markings on my tshirts/singlets. I am now, officially a 'sweaty American movie star'. I am available for casting in any submarine/military drama, or odd-ball college fraternity/sports romp.

The principal reason for this excessive perspiration has been the incredibly hot and muggy weather. This week it is set to break all the records for the 3 H's - Heat, Humidity & Haze - breaking 105 degrees Fahrenheit (that's over 40 degrees Celsius). So it's bloody hot! Especially in the concrete jungle that is New York City. In the subterranean subway tunnels it is stiflingly hot. The respite comes when a train pulls in and the bliss of air con abates the rankness. The monstrous and steamy heat has resulted in an accentuated number of strangely familiar and unusual smells hitting the nostrils. I will report on these foreign whiffs in a later post.

The photo is from my day of gallery hopping and dancing at PS1 which has been the pinnacle of my adventures in sweat. Sweat on I say, and will.

3 Comments:

Blogger GK said...

Time to head to the beach, Tim! But where's the nearest one from NYC?

4:36 PM  
Blogger Stitzy said...

Closest beaches are in Brooklyn or Queens, or the Jersey shore. Not like the beaches back in fair Oz. The beach at Coney Island was more rank than St Kilda in the 80s - cig butts, rank smells and needles.

I'm heading to Cape Cod in a couple of weeks so I'll get my beach fill them. In the meantime a pool in New Jersey is doing the trick. Hope all's well in Deuschland.

11:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can't wait to see your sweaty dancefloor moves when you get home lovely ts boy. Hope you didn't pick up any crazy moves at Hooters however! xx

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home